- What is it about the company that makes people want to stay?
- What position does the company hold in the market place?
- What are the company’s plans for the future?
- How many offices are there?
- How does the company encourage a coming- together of staff through activities?
thinking woman in front of question marks written whiteboard
- What exactly does the department do in terms of the overall company?
- What is the structure of the department?
- What is/are the personality/ies of the people I would be working for/with?
- How closely does this department work with other areas of the company?
- How does this department compare in size to others within the organisation?
- To what extent do you encourage staff to interact between departments?
Training and appraisals
- What sort of training is offered to staff within the department?
- Is training provided in-house or are courses held externally?
- What training facilities are available within the department/company?
- How often do you hold meetings to assess the skills/abilities/progress of staff?
- How would you describe a typical day for the person doing this job?
- Who is doing the job at the moment?
- What sort of handover will there be with the person who is currently doing this job?
- Why did the last person leave? Were they with you for a long time?
- What type of person are you looking for to fill this role?
- Who would I be reporting to?
- How long has the person I will be working for been here?
- How long would you expect a person to stay in this role?
- Will there be an opportunity to become involved and work on my own initiative?
- What structures are in place for career development?
- What are the promotional prospects?/What prospects are there for career progression?
- How do you encourage staff to progress within the company?
- What are the long-term development opportunities for this role?
- At what stage of the interview process would I be able to see the office I would work in and meet other members of the department?
- When can I look around the department where I would be working?
- When do you think you will decide on your short-list for second interviews?
- How many more people do you expect to interview for this position?
- When do you expect to be able to make a decision?